Dance Auditions for Grades 7-8
The following guidelines will prepare you for the audition for the Dance Magnet.
Stivers Dance Magnet provides a wide range of dance experiences including a variety of weekly dance technique classes, visiting artists, interdisciplinary art projects, field trips, and regular performance opportunities. The program is based in the ballet, and modern dance techniques, however students regularly study a diversity of dance forms such as jazz, tap, African, Folk, Latin and Pointe as well as explore related and creative dance studies (choreography, dance history, dance notation, repertory).
Dance is a unique art form; the body is the instrument of expression. It demands discipline, a high level of desire and creativity, and an ability to self-motivate so that natural talents can be fully developed. The individual dancer will work to transform their individual weaknesses into strengths and discover their own artistic voice.
- Come prepared to dance! Ladies should wear a black leotard and black footless tights. Hair will need to be pulled up off of the neck permitting the evaluators to check alignment and all jewelry must be removed. Gentlemen should wear black dance pants and black tank tops. No jewelry or extra clothing or should be worn. Loose clothing will inhibit a visual assessment of movement ability and alignment. Absolutely no gum, please.
- Expect to participate in the following:
- several ballet barre exercises
- a creative movement improvisation
- a movement phrase in the centre and traveling across the floor
- an improvisational phrase
- The Student's abilitites in the movement portion of the audition will be evaluated in the following areas:
- ability to follow directions
- ability to distinguish between personal and general space (and their range of movement in these areas)
- enthusiasm and focus
- creative and social cooperation with other dancers
- ability to improvise (make it up as you go along; this will be explained at the audition)
- coordination and alignment
- Candidates will be asked to demonstrate several stretching exercises; splits, straddles, back and foot.
- Candidates will be given several ballet barre exercises, a modern combination, and a jazz combination.
- A personal introduction that demonstrates confidence, projection, a strong and pleasant focus, and well-prepared content.
- A written exercise may be requested that discusses your goals as a dancer and your reasons for wishing to become a part of the Dance Magnet at Stivers.
- The student may have interviews with audition adjudicators.
Dance auditions may be as long as sixty minutes in length and eight dancers participate at a time.
Evaluation of the audition is based on a five point scale with five points being the highest and one point being the lowest in the following areas:
- range of movement
- technical abilities
- ability to improvise
- focus/performance energy