Orchestra Auditions for Grades 9-12
The following guidelines will prepare you for the audition for the Orchestra Magnet.
Stivers offers four levels of orchestra performance. Membership in each group is determined solely by audition, ability and achievement.
Our two highest levels of Orchestra enroll mostly high school players. There are a few middle school players within the top two Orchestras. Each group meets for one class period every day.
- Violinists are expected to bring their instrument. Stivers has a very limited number of school owned violas, celli, and basses for student use during their audition.
- Audition candidates are required to play the entire audition music literature.
- All candidates must play scales from memory.
- Two octaves on violin, viola, cello - C major, F major, G major, D major, B-flat major, A major, and E-flat major.
- Bass will play one octave scales on C major, F major, D major, B-flat major, A major, and E-flat major.
- Students are encouraged to bring a solo that they have prepared.
- All markings are to be played, bowings, dynamics, articulations, etc.
- Accuracy is more important than a fast tempo.
The audition will be evaluated on a scale of five points with five points being the highest and one point being the lowest in the following areas:
- Pitch and intonation
- Rhythmic precision
- Tone quality
- Bow control
- Reading / interpreting notation
- Posture / playing position
Performance music is available for download below. (Sheet music is presented online in Adobe PDF format.)