for Grades 7-8
The following guidelines will prepare you for the audition for the Theater Magnet.
The Stivers Theatre program will introduce the student to the basics of theatre history, technique, and stagecraft. Courses explore famous playwrights, play reading and writing, memorizing monologues and scripts, improvisations, character analysis, vocal interpretation, stage make-up, costuming, directing, and technical theatre.
Presentation of a memorized selection. The audition will be deemed unsuccessful if the monologue is not memorized. Selections are available for download below.
Monologue from selected downloads. The audition will be deemed unsuccessful if the monologue is not memorized.
- Participation in an acting activity or improvisation.
- A short written questionnaire concerning the student's goals and interests.
- A brief interview with the student concerning their theatrical experiences; what you enjoy about theatre and why you want to continue to study the theatrical arts.
Evaluation (100 point system: 50 points for monologue, 25 for improvisation, and 25 for interview)
- Voice quality and projection
- Movement and creativity
- Stage presence and spontaneity
- Ability to follow direction
- Ability to memorize