for Grades 8-12
The following guidelines will prepare you to audition for the Theater Magnet as rising 8th-12th graders. Please note that previous theatre experience is strongly encouraged.
The Stivers Theatre program will introduce the student to the basics of theatre history, technique, and stagecraft. Courses explore famous playwrights, play reading and writing, memorizing monologues and scripts, improvisations, character analysis, vocal interpretation, stage make-up, costuming, directing, and technical theatre.
Two 60-90 second contrasting monologues
- Cold readings from a script
- A brief interview with the student concerning their theatrical experiences; what you enjoy about theatre and why you want to continue to study the theatrical arts.
Evaluation (100 point system: 50 points for monologue, 25 for the interview and 25 for cold reading)
- Voice quality and projection
- Movement and creativity
- Stage presence and spontaneity
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to memorize
Please bring your headshot and resume. All monologues must be from a published play, and potential students should read the play if possible. Please choose age-appropriate material, no props or costumes. Please slate both of your monologues. Professional attire is strongly recommended.