Visual Arts Auditions
for Grades 9-12
The following guidelines will prepare you for the audition for the Visual Arts Magnet.
The visual Arts High School audition will consist of:
- A 60-minute observational drawing constructed from a still-life provided at the time of the audition. Students may bring their own drawing pencils to use during the audition. A number two (#2) pencill will be the only drawing tool provided by Stivers.
- Three to five images that the student artist has created. The work presented does not have to be matted or framed. Images should be current; please do not submit work that was constructed prior to your freshman academic school year. Portfolios are welcome.
- Students will be asked to write a brief statement about their goals and expectations for continuing their secondary education at Stivers School for the Arts.
Each area will be evaluated on a ten point scale with one point being the lowest score and 10 points being the highest. All points will be added to form one final score.
- Composition: utilizing the visual window to maximize viewer participation. Selective image placement.
- Scale: enlarging the size of the objects that are drawn.
- Interaction of objects: having the objects touch or overlap, including shadows.
- Essence of light: incoporating shadows and highlights in the drawing.
- Utilization of colour: using a full range of colours from white to light gray to rich, dark black.
- Pattern/Surface development: how much of the drawing is completed. Use of textures.